Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Big Bend Adventure Begins

Kimberly, Kaitlyn and I
Shawn

Well its been a little over a month since moving to Bend and since I promised all of you I would blog the trip up, here goes. My last day at work was FEB. 25th. I left with a sad feeling to leave so many of my friends but also with a feeling of new excitement just the same. Thursday left me with just enough time to get the last minute packing done before picking up Sheri at the San Diego airport that evening at 10:00pm. This was all very well orchestrated until her flight was delayed until 1:45Am!! Needless to say we didn't get to sleep that night until 3AM and morning came oh so fast!! Starbucks and doughnuts started our engines just before 8AM when the movers arrived to start loading the van. Ready or not the "Big Adventure" began. The movers were great, 2 men and 2 women. The women did much of the heavy work which I must say made me feel a little guilty I wasn't doing this job myself until I remembered after all I was paying them! The guys loaded the truck with the expertise of a master puzzle solver and probably could not have fit anything else of any significant size into our 14ft. truck. Every nook and cranny was filled and we were ready to roll. We cleaned the apartment and had lunch with Kim, Ed, Kaitlyn and Shawn celebrating Kim and Shawn's birthdays ( the 25th and 27th)which unfortunately was that day. Kaitlyn had spent the week with me which was nice. We said our good byes and were off by 4pm to Mission Viejo, 40 miles up the road to spend the night at Kristy and Mike's house before starting out at 4:15AM the next morning. I armed only with a camera rode shotgun as Sheri drove the 10 hours to Chico our next stop. I was less than thrilled to drive the truck and Sheri was doing a fine job, so being the best friend that she is she was unofficially volunteered to drive the entire way by me!! What a gal! I was photographer and need to capture the entire trip in pictures after all. We made it to Brynn's house by mid afternoon, showered, relaxed and had a nice dinner out. Sunday morning it was raining as we left Chico and never let up for several hours as we headed across the CA/Oregon border and over the "pass". Sheri's driving never faltered as we climbed over the mountain in the pouring rain. Crazy weather but thankfully no snow. We made it to Bend by early afternoon, unpacked the truck and loaded it into Heather's spare bedroom(my personal storage unit), returned the truck, ate more pizza then off to my new pad at Sheri's mom's house (Kay). I took Monday off to just relax and Tuesday I called the vet office that I had been in touch with since early January to let them know I was in town. I went in the next day for my working interview for about 6 hours and again on Thursday. I was hired and started on Friday and have been working continually 4o hours ever since. I love the job, bringing new and different challenges that I am eager to accept. Everyone is very helpful and friendly and the Doctors are great! I have a huge wall of windows in which to see the weather outside( yes I'm talking about the snow)
I went car shopping with Sheri's husband John on day 2 of being here and ended up buying a car I had seen on Craigslist for several weeks before moving. Its a 2005 Ford Escape AWD in wonderful condition and was able to get them to drop the price even more and got an awesome deal!
Now for weather conditions and wildlife... It snowed on and off the first week I got here, very exciting for a SO CAL girl, but cold! Most snow melted quickly with only traces seen along the sides of the roads in shady areas. The next week on Monday I awoke to a total blanket of fresh snow with no end in sight. This freaked me out as I was not able to sit in a chair with my hot cup of something and watch as I had dreamed of doing before I got here. No I had to go to work in my new car. I drove oh so slow for the mile and 1/3 that it took to get there and made it without any slippage. Now warm inside, I marveled at how beautiful it was from my wall of windows. I will be taking a winter driving class before next winter for sure. The only thing that class doesn't offer is the skills that it takes to dodge the deer that run across the roads often 2-3 at a time at dusk, dawn or when ever they feel like it! This happened the first time and was totally not expecting it, I stopped in the middle of the road as they ran across. It happened again several days later as I went to work right by my house. I now am scanning the side of the roads as I drive watching for any movement in or by the trees! I have seen several families of Quail scurrying across the road too! They are very cute running single file.
I am slowly learning then area, going a little further each week. There are no freeways here. They have a "parkway" which is the main drag in, out and through town, but the max speed limit is 45mph and only 2 lanes. I must be very careful not to drive at "freeway" speed. Roundabouts are fun too, not too hard to figure out. All in all I really like my new home very much. The people are very friendly and I have found a new church home as well. I am looking forward to my first trip to Portland in July for a concert to see Chicago/Earth Wind an Fire. Fun Fun Fun. Take care. XOXO Margi






Kim's house, saying goodbye to the Tacketts and Janet

My Pacific Animal Hospital "family"
my going away party

My many boxes

Packing it up
The moving mess

Sheri and Kaitlyn

Well organized

The moving crew

Ready to go

All empty

Onward to Mission Viejo for the night

My driver. Sheri


Coffee break



Fellow U-hauls on the road



Our final destination day one. Brynn's house

The Bend area map

The Sacramento River

Starting over the Pass, very rainy!

Getting closer





Crossing the border




Finally here!!

Kay's house where I'm staying and my new car

3 comments:

Ang said...

Margi! Congratulations on your move to Bend!! Wow, my husband and I were just talking about moving up there. You have to keep blogging and keep us all up to date w/ pix! :) Congratulations on the new job, too. It sounds great! Thanks again for your help with my two kittens last year at your old work. They're now full-grown poopin' machines! lol But, they're adorable and nice and healthy because of the help you guys gave over there! :) Thanks again. Tell Kelly hello, and I'll keep an eye out for more blogs. Your move inspires me! You go girl! ~Angela Frasier (formerly Oxley) =)

Moore Praise said...

Fun Fun we loved all the pictures. Very pretty. Be careful not to hit Bambi :). Love You and miss you

Margi said...

I'll try but I was more worried about my new little car!